13 Haziran 2018 Çarşamba

WE ARE NOT LATE YET


I don't like being late. Most people who are late don't like being late. And I never plan to be late or intend to be late. I understand that it's disrespectful and unprofessional. Not to mention uncomfortable.

Here's my problem: I have a very high need to be efficient and productive. Transition time is neither of those things; it's annoying. I'd rather just be somewhere. I don't want to waste time getting there. So even though I should leave more time, I push it, strait to the illusion that I can get places faster than is humanly possible. 

I'm not the only one. Anyone who has ever scheduled back-to-back meetings lives under the same illusion. How can we end a meeting at 2:00 pm and start the next one at 2:00 pm? Even they're just phone meetings, we can't dial that fast. Or switch our mind set from one task to another in so little time. I call it predesigned lateness. One of my friends has a policy not to start a training program until 15 minutes after it is scheduled to start.  It is institutionalized lateness.

But the joke is on late people. Because being late causes the exact things we're trying to avoid: inefficiency and productivity. Not just for thhe people who are waiting, but for the people who are late. Because nothing is more productive and efficient than transition time. It's not just our time to travel. It's our time to think and to plan. 

When I took few minutes before the meeting to really think about it, I could shorten it. Even 10 minutes of that kind of planning can save 30 minutes off a task. I try to spend my transition time plotting how to maximize the outcome. For example; I may need people's ownership. I think about how I can involve others more openly, get their perspectives and engage them. 

I believe there is no better planning time than the 15 minutes before you walk into the room or get on the phone. I have been running marathons since 2013. I have never seen any athlete who would rush off a mobile phone and jump into the starting gate of a race. Because athletes know that transition time is productive time. 

To make this work, I have been scheduling it by putting the transition time on my calendars; end meetings at least 10-15 minutes before the hour and schedule that time to prepare for the next one. Sometimes I can keep that meeting 30 minutes and have an extra 15 minutes to go to bathroom, answer e-mails or surf daily news. It is not easy but would be more efficient than doing these things during the meeting. 

I have more to say about this. But It's only 15 minutes until my next meeting so I've to go.







Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder